You save: $477.00
Experience the mixture of ancient and new-age cultures in the bustling metropolises of Beijing and Shanghai. Discover the delights of the Orient, popular cities of Suzhou “the Garden City” and Hangzhou “the Water Village” and delve into nature in an ancient city of Wuxi endowed with scenic attractions.
- Beijing: Chunhuiyuan Hot Springs Hotel or similar
- Wuxi: Swiss-Belhotel Liyuan or similar
- Suzhou: Holiday Inn Suzhou Taihu Lake or similar
- Hangzhou: Hangzhou Merchant Marco Edgelake Hotel or similar
- Shanghai: Wassim Hotel Zhoupu or similar
- Day 1: Australia – Beijing (no meals)
Fly to Beijing via connecting cities and be transferred to the hotel. Enjoy time to rest, relax and acclimate to the new time zone.
- Day 2: Beijing (breakfast)
After breakfast, visit Tiananmen Square, the second-largest public square in the world, named after the Tiananmen “Gate of Heavenly Peace” located to the north of the square, and separating it from the Forbidden City. Visit the Monument to the People’s Heroes, the National Museum of China and the Mausoleum of Chairman Mao Zedong.
Optional tour (at own expense): Embark on an optional tour of Forbidden City, home to the National Palace Museum, consisting of 980 buildings and covering the area of 72 ha.
- Day 3: Beijing (breakfast)
The Great Wall of China is one of the seven greatest man-made wonders of the world and is definitely the focal point of China. Hike along the Great Wall (Juyong Pass). After that, stop to see one of the largest jade exhibitions in Asia. After lunch, take a chance to observe skilled artisans at work at a Cloisonne Factory producing famous traditional enamelware.
Optional tour (at own expense): Optionally, join The Golden Mask Dynasty show. This show incorporates dancing, acrobatics, and unique costumes.
- Day 4: Beijing (breakfast)
Enjoy a tour of the Summer Palace, the largest preserved ancient garden in China and a former summer resort for Emperors. Then visit the Chinese Herbal Institute to learn about traditional Chinese medicine and indulge in a traditional foot massage.
Optional tour (at own expense): Embark on Hutong Life and Panda House tour with lunch that takes travellers around the intricate winding hutongs to admire the old courtyards. Visit a local family’s house to experience authentic Beijing life. Then, head to the Panda House in Beijing Zoo to see the Giant Panda.
- Day 5: Beijing – Wuxi (breakfast)
Take a high-speed train to Wuxi, an ancient city endowed with natural attractions due to its pleasantly warm and moist climate. Known as the ‘Land of Fish and Rice’ the place offers unique scenery. On the way, pass by Lake Tai, the third-largest freshwater lake in China. In the evening, stroll along the trendy yet traditional Nanchang Street in Wuxi, combining ancient and modern architecture.
Optional tour (at own expense): enjoy a traditional Jiangnan dumpling lunch that includes the famous Xiao Long Bao, a Chinese steamed bun filled with minced pork and soup, prepared in a small bamboo steaming basket.
- Day 6: Wuxi – Suzhou (breakfast)
In the morning, visit one of the largest freshwater pearl exhibitions in the country. After lunch, travel by coach to Suzhou, a city full of canals, stone bridges, and well-designed gardens. Suzhou is known as the ‘Garden City’. Visit the Lingering Garden, one of the finest in China.
Optional tour (at own expense): Take a cruise along the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Grand Canal and observe daily life along what was known as ‘China’s golden waterway’ in the past.
- Day 7: Suzhou – Hangzhou (breakfast)
In the morning, visit a silk spinning mill, and learn how silk is created. After lunch, travel by coach to Hangzhou. Upon arrival, take a boat ride on the serene West Lake, the most renowned feature of Hangzhou, and noted for its scenic views.
Optional tour (at own expense): Enjoy an open-air performance – Impression West Lake, created by Zhang Yimou, the director of the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Games Opening Ceremony.
- Day 8: Hangzhou – Shanghai (breakfast)
Experience tea-tasting at the Dragon Well Tea Plantation. Then travel by coach to Shanghai, the commercial centre of China. Upon arrival, walk along the famous Bund, stretching along the Huangpu River. Enjoy the rest of the day at leisure strolling along the bustling shopping district, Nanjing Road, and discovering the gems of this vibrant metropolis.
Optional tour (at own expense): Embark on The Huangpu River cruise.
- Day 9: Shanghai (breakfast)
In the morning, visit the Shanghai Museum to see ancient Chinese art, furniture and jade. Spend the rest of the day at leisure or enjoy an optional tour program.
Optional tour 1 (at own expense): Jin Mao Tower, Xintiandi & Maglev Train Tour – Visit the Jin Mao Tower Observation Deck (88th floor) for a panoramic view of the Huangpu River and the Bund and explore the affluent Xintiandi area
Optional tour 2 (at own expense): ERA: The Intersection of Time or SPIRAL – watch a Chinese acrobatic show combining Chinese arts and modern technology
- Day 10: Shanghai – New Zealand (no meals)
Conclude the tour with a transfer to the airport for an onward flight via connecting cities
Day 11: Arrival to New Zealand (no meals)
Arrive home today
Beijing Capital International Airport
Terms and Conditions
• Fixed travel dates in 2019:
– 5, 12, 19, 26 March
– 2 April
– 7, 14, 21, 28 May
– 4, 11, 18, 25 June
– 30 July
– 6, 13, 20, 27 August
– 3, 10 September
– 15, 22, 29 October
– 5, 12, 19 November
• A peak season surcharge of approx. NZ$327 applies for travel in the following periods (all dates in 2019):
9, 16, 23, 30 April
2, 9, 16, 23 July
17, 24 September
• Deal is valid for 1 person based on 2 people travelling together (twin share)
• Customers can purchase multiple vouchers
• Vouchers cannot be combined to extend stay
• Flights depart Auckland and include 20kgs of hold luggage and 7kg of carry on luggage
• Based on two people sharing, single supplement of NZ$545 applies
• Exclusions: travel insurance (please contact the travel provider for more information), visas, personal expenses, anything not mentioned in the deal itinerary or mentioned as ‘optional’, peak season surcharge, single supplement, any gratitudes (not a must but greatly appreciated)
• Groupon strongly encourages all travelers to check official advice available at safetravel.govt.nz prior to purchasing this deal
• Travel insurance not included; customers are advised to purchase appropriate cover after booking
• Read more about purchase options and common Travel Terms here
• Standard fine print which applies to all travel promotions
How to Redeem
• Must book within 7 days of purchase
• Email to book: [email protected]
• State departure city, preferred dates of stay and voucher codes along with name, gender, date of birth, contact number, email, nationality, passport number and expiry date
• Attach PDF voucher
• Merchant will revert within 2 working days for confirmation
• Present printed voucher and passport on check-in